Sunday, June 7, 2009

Brownie Bites with Mocha Frosting

Yesterday, I was heading over to a friend's house for his annual Bocce Ball tournament and BBQ. I never like to show up at a BBQ empty-handed, but I hadn't had time to run to the store to make the mango salsa I usually take. I was looking through the pantry, trying to think of something quick (so the baby would put up with me spending time in the kitchen, and not with him on the couch!) I remembered that my in-laws had left almost a full box of these brownie bites with us the last time they were in town, so I pulled them out of the freezer to thaw. Well, I couldn't just take brownie bites in a Ziploc bag with me to a party, so I decided to top them with mocha frosting. They were a hit! And I'm so glad I was only able to stay at the BBQ for only an hour, because I would have finished a whole plate myself. I'm sure of it.

If you can't find brownie bites, anything chocolate and cakey would do, I'm sure! If you want to get fancy, grate some chocolate over the top of the frosted brownie bites, or sprinkle them with some toasted, chopped hazelnuts or almonds for crunch.

Mocha Frosting
Makes enough to top 30 brownie bites

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp good vanilla extract
1 T instant espresso powder
1 T water or milk (for dissolving the espresso powder)
1 T Kahlua or coffee liquor (optional)

Directions
1. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar, cocoa, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer. (Start slow, or you will end up with sugar and cocoa all over the place!)
2. Dissolove espresso powder in water or milk, and add to creamed mixture along with the Kahlua (if using). Continue to mix until the frosting is light and fluffy.
3. Scoop into a plastic bag, clip the corner, and pipe onto tops of brownie bites, or spread on with a knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment